VSS error VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR (0x8004230F) when creating an image
Active@ Disk Image relies on VSS service when creating an image. If it fails with error VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR (0x8004230F) the reason could be a third-party VSS Provider component installed on the system.
To verify if there is a third party VSS provider installed run a command prompt with Administrator privileges and type VSSADMIN LIST PROVIDERS. There must be only default Microsoft provider as shown on screenshot:
If this is a case, this third party VSS provider can be a source of VSS error and has to be removed.
How to remove a third-party VSS provider
- Find out provider id from output of VSSADMIN LIST PROVIDERS command.
- Run registry editor (regedit)
- Backup registry
- Delete registry key corresponding to this provider from HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Providers
- Search the registry for provider id and delete any other traces
- Open Computer Services by entering dcomcnfg in command prompt
- Expand Component Services > My Computer > COM+ Applications and delete the provider
- Reboot machine